Sunday, October 16, 2011

IIM (Double I M)

All GATE students are in the process of learning a research method called IIM (Double I M) or the Independent Investigation Method.  In this approach to research, kids learn through 7 steps.  We are using this process together in class to learn about glass artist, Dale Chihuly.  Please see earlier blog post about Chihuly to learn more about our IIM steps.

I believe that this method will give students the scaffolding they need in order to begin to learn to effectively conduct research while taking notes that make sense without plagiarizing.  4th grade students are also using this IIM method in the independent research for their technology projects.  I have told the students that I think this set of skills will be useful to them throughout their school career and that they might even call me from college and say, "Hey - this really does still work!"



No comments:

Post a Comment