Friday, December 4, 2015

Dr. Bice listens to students in Alabama

 I am fortunate every day to be around creative, smart, interesting young students in my class!  Yesterday, I was fortunate to be around creative, smart, interesting OLDER students from around the state of Alabama.  Dr. Tommy Bice is our State Superintendent of Education.  I have heard him speak on several occasions at our Alabama Association for Gifted Children Conference and I think he is an intelligent, creative, "think outside the box" educator.  He has instigated the very first Student Advisory Council for Alabama.  Sixteen students from all over our state were selected through an application process to be a part of this committee.

I was amazed as each student presented well thought-out ideas and research they had conducted in their areas of the state.  Students brought ideas and issues that affect Alabama students.  Dr. Bice listened - I mean, REALLY listened - and commented on the ideas presented by each of the delegates.  As a teacher I was intrigued by their ideas.  I am so thankful I had the opportunity to be a "fly on the wall" to watch and listen.  These young people have been given a voice and Dr. Bice is a willing listener so that decisions can be made about what is best for our students in Alabama.

Dr. Tommy Bice with Anna Clay Adams
(Of course, I am a proud mom, too!)

Members of the Inaugural Superintendent's Student Advisory Council

I see this council as an important part of our Alabama State Department of Education and I can foresee my 4th grade gifted students on this council in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment